Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Techno-Free Tuesdays!

I had my first taste of "technology free" life when I went to Nigeria in 08. Sure, there was internet and cell phone usage, but not for this American. Didn't want to spend the money I had on things that would make me wish I was back in America - what would be the point? So instead I spent my money on enjoying the present - Nigeria.

Soon as I stepped foot on the soil, I could feel that someTHING was different. Couldn't put my finger on it, but I was intent on finding out just what it was.

The longer I was there - without being tied to my email, my cell phone, my family - the more peace I discovered. It was like I'd stepped back into time ... and there was peace like never before. So when I returned and I was back "connected", I longed for the peace that was Techno-Free responsible.

And so once per week, I highlight an aspect of technology-less living I've rehashed and am reliving.

When's the last time you used a beer bottle for a rolling pin?

Last week during one of my cooking frenzies, I made ginger snaps more or less by this recipe (subbing olive oil for the butter, using fresh ginger and more than what's called for in the recipe, had no cloves, subbed agave for molasses, used brown sugar vs white and used a mixture of whole wheat flour, ground oat flour and ground flax seeds instead of white flour) and didn't have a rolling pin. As I surveyed the kitchen for what I could use, I noticed the beer bottles I'm saving to recycle until all the beer's gone. Voila! Transported back to my childhood when I remember Granny keeping a floured beer bottle in the cabinet - only to be used when making the "from scratch" peach cobbler dough. Who knew those beer bottles would come in handy? Not me!

Next the recipe called for using cookie cutters...I remember from improvising when I was about 12 with the biscuits NOT to use a water glass for this - the pressure destroys the glass. So what'd I use? A plastic mug with "thin lips" - thin enough that it would "cut" the dough. Perfect circles coming right up!

So there you have it - a little less technology for that arse...sometimes reminiscing is a good thing - especially if it reminds you of how good you felt smelling cookies baking in the oven as a kid...my family still has a picture of me as a kid, sitting cross legged in the kitchen, cake bowl in my lap, hand in the bowl, with chocolate batter on my face. I guess it's no wonder I enjoy baking :)

ETA: As I wrote this, I realized just how creative I am in the kitchen - made hella substitutions in this recipe and didn't think twice about it - hey gotta use what i have when I'm not trying to spend any extra money. Cookies turned out great by the way! Next time I'll use even MORE ginger - and as I was cleaning, I saw that I did have ginger in my spice rack after all - never even looked.

No comments: