Friday, September 5, 2008

Contract Work

Life is filled with contracts. Written contracts - like the forms you sign when applying for a credit card or a prenup. Oral contracts - like when I told my friend I'd pay her $1200 for her bedroom set. Last but not least, you have implied contracts - like when you are hired to do a job, the implication is that you will do the best job you can.

In my life, I have several contracts. I have implied contracts with friends and associates that say as long as we are on the same wavelength and share some of the same values, we will remain friends. At any time if you disrespect me or I feel as if we are growing in seperate directions, then that contract will more than likely be discontinued.

In my professional life, the written agreement is that if I do the work; I will be paid. If I do not do the work we have agreed upon, then I will not get paid. In my current position, I have recently renewed my contract. I've taken it upon myself to review my contract and adjust my behavior accordingly. After a bit of reflection, I discovered that my employer was actually getting more work out of me than we had originally agreed upon.

And such is life. In friendships, relationships and professionally, I consciously CHOOSE to enter into a contract. If at anytime I feel as if the relationship is extending outside of the previously set boundaries, it is my duty to review the contract. To make sure the terms of the agreement are in tact and are mutually agreed upon. If in the process leading up to the contract renewal, I discover that I have changed the terms of the agreement without making the other party aware of the change, it is then my responsibility to confirm the change with the other person. If I choose NOT to make them aware of any changes on my part, then I have no one to blame but myself. If two parties have a contractual agreement together, yet there is no agreement on the terms of the agreement, who is to blame?

All of this to say - I have contracts with my employers. I am choosing to enter into contract with them. I have contracts with my family, friends and anyone I allow to spend time in my inner circle. I choose to enter into those as well. If at any time I no longer believe in the terms of said contract, I reserve the right to cancel the contract. If I choose to renew the contract, I am saying I agree with the past behavior; I agree with the way you treated me in the past. You too have a choice when it comes to renewing contracts. Won't you review some of your contracts today? You may find it's time to cancel some and write in additional requirements for some others :)

No comments: