Thursday, April 17, 2008

So what happens if you are following all the steps...you've completed the assessment so you know what type you are according to Meyers-Briggs, you've identified your passions in life, you're applying to only those positions that are inside your field of interest, but for some reason you're just not getting any callbacks. What do you do now? Keep at it! Don't grow weary in well doing. Stay positive...this is a marathon, not a sprint!

Case in point: I've applied for quite a few positions as of late. But for some reason I'm not getting them. I know my cover letter and resume are on point - I've submitted them to others for review - one of whom works in resume review. And I've received rave reviews. I even applied for a position as a Career Coach with my current company. I KNOW I'm qualified, I have experience in the field, albeit volunteer, but experience nonetheless. But I was still turned down.

What does that mean? Am I tripping and maybe I'm not as good a candidate as I think? NOT! Most likely, I'm simply not the candidate they are looking for. My current employer has this strange habit of designing job titles and descriptions that don't actually fit the duties of the position. So when I was asked in a pre-interview questionnaire what I thought the job entailed, more than likely that's what got me.

My co-workers and I joke all the time about whether or not we work in a call center. The truth of the matter is that we do. But for some strange reason, our superiors seem to not want us to think that way. I find it amusing at best. The words "call center" are replaced with "phone technology" and "academic advising" when in reality we are customer service.

So where do I go from here? I apply for positions outside of my company, first of all. If I already know the history of this place, why stay? DON'T! I research effective resumes online, if I haven't already. And if I have, then I find even more suggestions to make my resume and coverletter stand out even more.

Farrah Gray has stated that sometimes our destiny isn't what we think it is. Sometimes there are walls placed in front of us like mazes to force us to go in another direction. So when you hit a wall, that's when it's time to come back to those initial questions:

1) What have I been put here to do?

Most definitely to help others. I have a thirst and hunger and knowledge of all things and I love using that knowledge to either connect people who wouldn't have met otherwise or to provide a tidbit of useful information at just the right time.

2) Am I doing what it takes to get to where I want to be?

I think so. I'm applying for only those positions that appeal to my passions and interests. I'm being honest in my coverletter about what exactly I'm looking for in my next position and what makes me qualified for that particular position.

3) Is there anything that I haven't done or that I can do better?

I know that I've slowdragged my feet on writing a coverletter for a few positions. So I can more aggressively apply for jobs so that instead of sitting here stewing in my dislike for the new policies at my current company, I can actually DO something about it.

2 comments:

Don said...

Am I tripping and maybe I'm not as good a candidate as I think? NOT!

And it usually will be something as simple as that. Not everyone is for everyone. That's all.

Keep applying for the postitions which appeal to your interests. I will do the same.

Who is Natisha? said...

Thanks for your comment Don! I definitely agree with your statement that not everything is for everyone. I'm actually going to consider it a blessing for that I don't get EVERY position. I never what can of worms is behind those job postings :) Godspeed in your search!