Thursday, April 10, 2008

For the Love of Money

So this nonprofit that I was SOOOO excited to work with? Turns out the "Executive Director" appears to just be another sheisty guy looking to make a quick buck by operating under the guise of a 501(C)3 organization.

It's actually pretty sad when you think about it. Here is someone who has a website, a brochure, other marketing materials and is collecting donations. Yet, somehow he's only managed to provide ONE scholarship to a student that was referred to him through his job. I wouldn't necessarily mind that at all ... IF you did not work for a proprietary institution AND you were paid bonuses based on the students you convinced to attend school online. In essence, the "scholarship" you provided was no more than payment to get that student on your roster. Sounds very unethical.

And it took all of 4 days to figure this out. By nature, I am a skeptic. Not on purpose or anything like that, it's just that I for one do NOT tolerate being sold on ANYTHING. My feelings and reading tells me that whenever you have a true quality product, it will sell itself. Up until this point in my life, I've found that to be true. I mean if you have a sincere heart and a genuine purpose, people will WANT to support you. When you are forced to hard sell something, that generally means you're trying and have to convince me to see your point of view.

That's not right. At least not for me. So, oh well. What seemed like the perfect opportunity actually became the ultimate learning lesson.

Lessons Revisited:
1) Question everything.
2) In God we trust, everyone else requires proof. (which means ask for physical evidence)
3) If your questions are met with offense, someone is obviously doing something unethical. So watch out and when things go south you have NO ONE to blame but yourself!

1 comment:

Don said...

Wise words being spoken...

My feelings and reading tells me that whenever you have a true quality product, it will sell itself

I wholeheartedly agree. It will definitely sell itself. The market dictates this.